(ETA: It seems that an update of the comments policy is in order, since a whole lot of motherfuckers with no home training keep rolling up in here trying to start shit. Fortunately, I don’t post their comments and simply add their IP address to the spam list. While using their ignorance for entertainment purposes used to be fun, it seems that they’re coming out of the woodwork, making it harder for real discussion to take place. I won’t call these rules per se, but let’s just say that I’m using them as very strong guidelines for what I will and won’t let through.)
NOTE: Moff’s Law is fully enforced here.
For whatever reason, discussing progressive political ideas tends to bring out the jackass in people. Maybe it’s the anonymity of the internet. Or maybe it’s because you know that saying fucked up shit won’t get you punched in the mouth. So here are a few guidelines you should keep in mind so you don’t look like a dumbass.
1. Learn what the fuck is going on here. Ars Marginal is not a public service. It is not a debate comm. It’s not for everyone. That’s on purpose. Ars Marginal is about marginalized people candidly engaging with various cultural media. This doesn’t mean we all have to agree with everyone about everything (ask any 100 random lesbians about The L Word), but denial, dismissal, and derailing are not. Which leads us to . . .
2. Keep it on topic. Really, this should be easily and intuitively grasped by applying the principle of #1 to every part of this blog, but no, I have to spell it out for some of these fuckers who come on here. For instance, telling the OP how pointless or stupid their post is – off-topic. Keep trying, and you’ll get banned. By the way . . .
3. If it’s not clear, ask. It won’t kill you. What’s obvious to some people isn’t always obvious to others. Raising questions for clarification is always welcome (as opposed to hastily rushing to make a point without, oh, reading first). If you want to stay on topic, it would also help if you . . .
4. Get your 101 on. If anti-oppression is new to you, be a good newbie and do a little reading first before you spout some nonsense that makes us want to projectile vomit through the internet onto your keyboard. Hell, if anti-oppression is not new to you, you know enough to know that you don’t know it all so you should still be learning. And while you’re at it . . .
5. Check your privilege. Because if you say something ignorant . . .
Seriously, though, I can’t stress this enough. If you are not a member of the marginalized group(s) being discussed, don’t come in here acting like you know more than jack shit worth knowing about the issue at hand. Also . . .
6. Speak for yourself. The Soul Police (and every variant thereof) have no jurisdiction here. There’s no standard you have to abide by to prove you’re Black enough, gay enough, feminist enough, or what have you. Just like nobody can tell you how to be you, don’t go around telling other people how to be them. As a matter of fact . . .
7. Just say no to the tone argument. For those who don’t know, if you’re about to tell someone that they shouldn’t be so angry/snarky/whatever if they want to be listened to – don’t fucking do it. No, really, don’t bother. Because it won’t see the light of day. And keep in mind that . . .
8. No one owes anyone anything. And you don’t owe anyone else anything either. Not a response. Not the time of day. Not an explanation. Nada. While those things are nice, they are not required. Nobody is getting paid for this shit, so don’t make it a job to deal with your ass.
9. Fuck you, privilege denying dude! See that shit he says? Not a good idea here.
10. This is a drama-free zone. Ars Marginal space is for Ars Marginal discussions. This is really not the place to drag in bullshit from other online communities. Anyone can participate as long as they display home training.
Just so you know. If you roll up in here and start saying shit that reveals your lack of home training, Ars Marginal will not be held responsible for your fee-fees getting hurt. Quite a few of us have a healthy sense of schadenfreude, so we might just enjoy it.
If you have questions and/or something to add or expand upon, feel free to do so here.